Wednesday, September 11, 2013

EduWINNING!

There are days when you're slogging away, trying your best, and not knowing if anything you do makes a difference....

And then there are days like today! Last year I took part in a research project created by Carol Booth Olson at UCI.  I spent my 23rd year of teaching feeling like a first year teacher all over again. It was messy, uncomfortable, and way outside of my comfort zone.... but it was worth it!

Today we got the results of our year's work, and they were GOOD! My students' growth was so rewarding; I felt both grateful to have been included in this project and proud of the work my students did.

My students learned to be better readers and writers, (and I am thrilled about that) but I think they learned even more important lessons: I think they learned how to struggle through something difficult and not give up; I hope they learned that nobody, not even the teacher, is done learning; and I believe that they learned the struggle and completion of a task is worth more than a grade.

So here's my advice to anyone who wants to teach- to be a teacher, you have to be willing to be a public learner. And don't hide your struggle; share it so your students can learn to deal with their own difficulties. Shine a light on what happens when things don't work out the first time, let them see you stumble, pick yourself up, and then get it right!

You're not just teaching content, you're teaching how to learn!

Thanks for sharing my joy today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment